About Natalie Sammut
I am a trained and experienced registered social worker (RSW) who provides psychotherapy, having done my training through the Centre for Training in Psychotherapy (CTP). In addition, I am a member of the Canadian Association of Psychodynamic Therapy (CAPT). My background includes over 40 years’ experience in the area of mental health.
- I currently work psychotherapeutically with adults, families, and teens.
- I have provided crisis assessment and management of adolescents.
- I have 17 years of experience working in a major child and family service agency in Toronto providing family therapy
- I was a foster parent with the Children’s Aid Society for 11 years working with many children dealing with trauma, attachment and behavioural issues, as well as other significant challenges in their young lives
- For 8 years, I co-facilitated Meditation for Health groups (mindfulness-based stress reduction).
My Therapy Approaches:
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy
- Family Therapy
- Psychodynamic Psychotherapy
- Relational therapy
- Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction
Challenges you might be facing
Issues I work with include:
What happens in a therapy session
The goal of therapy is to relieve the stress of everyday living by gaining new insights and skills, and making better connections to yourself and others.
It is a kind of focused attention that allows you to see the internal workings of your own mind. It helps you to be aware of your deeper mental processes, without being swept away by them. It has the potential to free you from patterns of mind and action that get in the way of living your life to the fullest. It moves you beyond the reactive emotional responses in which we all tend to get trapped. You acquire skills that allow you to reshape and redirect your inner experiences so that you have more freedom of choice in your everyday actions, and more power to create the future.
It is my role to create a safe, compassionate, non-judgmental, reliable and respectful place where you can reflect on your life.
I will listen and ask questions, and together we will look for patterns of thought and behaviour. We will come to understand those patterns, and what has influenced your thoughts and feelings, by looking at early life experiences as well as what is happening in the here and now.
I offer an initial 30 minute in-person free psychotherapy consultation.